If you want to prevent tooth decay and gum disease, it’s best to fight plaque. Plaque is a sneaky substance that clings to your teeth and harms your smile. If it’s left untreated, major dental issues could occur, which is why our Smiles Dental team recommends preventing plaque growth in the first place. To help you do so, we recommend doing the following things:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste and brush your smile twice a day—every morning and every night. Do your best to brush for two minutes each time and thoroughly scrub each tooth.
- Use a flossing product of your choice and floss at least once a day. This is helpful because it removes the plaque that grows in the crevices of your smile.
- Rinse your mouth daily with antibacterial or fluoride mouthwash. Doing so will complete the cleaning job and will freshen your breath.
- Have a balanced and healthy diet and do your best to stay away from the sugary and carb-loaded snacks.
- Make sure each product you use to clean your teeth is one that has been approved by the American Dental Association. These products are the safest and most effective for your smile.
- Replace your old toothbrush with a new one every 3-4 months. Using a worn-down brush is not beneficial or effective.
- Attend your dental cleanings and exams every six months.
As you use these tips, please remember that your dentist, Dr. Natanael Repta, and our friendly dental team are here to help you in any way we possibly can. So, if you have any questions or if you would like to know more about plaque prevention in Riddle, Oregon, we encourage you to call 541.378.4423 and schedule an appointment. We are more than happy to help you!